| Wednesday, March 11, 2009 |
| Selflessness |
Selflessness- It's a big word in terms of definition. Never the less many people lack it. It's normal to only think of one's self but now days the number of people who do is sadly increasing. Sometimes I ask my self how the world has come to the way it is now and why people act a certain way the do. Since I was a kid I was always taught that sharing something is more fulfilling than it is to keep it to myself. Often the phrase "sharing is caring" was thrown around like it was nothing but for me, I took it seriously.
When I was back in elementary school we use to have a good deed card, each time you were caught doing something selfless you would get a sticker. Once you obtain three stickers you could go down to the counselor’s office and pick a reward. I don't mean to brag or nothing but I always would be down at the office picking rewards, my good deed card was always full with stickers and I would do selfless deeds out of the kindness of my heart not just because I would get a reward. The self gratification I would get just from seeing someone smile was the best repayment I could receive.
For instance, in 3rd grade our teacher Mrs.Fukumoto was handing out cupcakes to everyone before we watched a movie during our Social Studies class. Everyone got a cupcake, except for my friend Kristina. A turn out our teacher was one cupcake short. It didn't matter how bad I wanted to just scarf that fluffy, savory and chocolaty treat in mouth. I decided to sacrifice it and give it to Kristina; after she ate it she gave me the biggest hug ever and thanked me. Not only did I gain happiness and a new sticker out of it I also created a long lasting friendship. Ever since then I learned that being selfless plays a very important roll in life and great things come of it. For this I believe that the less you focus on your self the happier you are in life. |
Slid down the rainbow at 12:03 PM  |
|
| 3 Comments: |
-
Hey Ashly,I really like your topic, I think that the world needs an improvement on that. Also, I like how you gave us an example of your child hood life. To improve you writing, you should give us an example of how selfish the world is, then tell me your story. You should also try to relate your story of when you were in elementary and how that has become such an important lesson in your life. Or how your small deed sets an example in how we can change the world. That way your piece can be more powerful. Good job!
-Keli Kuikahi
-
hey ash, i really like the way you started this essay off; "it's a BIG word... but people LACK it" :D i think that this is a really great topic that you believe in, and i agree that not enough people are selfless. there are some grammer errors: 2nd paragraph; "i don't mean to brag or nothing" & "repayment" and other small stuff throughout the essay. ash, i think that your experiences were very cute ;) but it seems like the essay was cut short. i can't really get if you want other people to be selfless too, because ending it [the last two sentences] made me think that this is like a journal question you answered. i can't really see all of the passion you have for this subject.
this can turn out to be a fantasic essay, that will move people, but it isn't really that right now.
-
Hi Ashly,
and congratulations on being the first both post and get two comments back :)
I enjoyed reading your essay and agree with your partners that selflessness is an important element, much needed in this world.
I also agree with Keli about providing specific examples about the world's selfishness and with Sophie about delving a bit more into the topic.
You use sharing the cupcake in third grade as an example, but I think you need to bring in other examples as well...something that indicates the type of selflessness that you as a teen and later an adult will need and believe in.
mrs s
|
| |
| << Home |
| |
|
|
|
| Where To? |
|
| Posts of Note |
|
|
| Books I Want to Read |
Get me one of these books and I'll be your loyal friend for life (see below for my email address if you're actually considering the idea - not that I'm expecting you to)...
- Snakehead
- Morning is a Long Time Coming
- Baby Blue
- Incarceron
- The Fighting Pit
- The Hunting Forest
- City of Flowers
- A Small Person Far Away
- Bombs on Aunt Dainty
- The Other Way Round
- The Time Withces
- The Wild West Withches
- Inkheart
- Inkspell
- Inkdeath
- Heartsongs
- Midnight's Choice
- The Princess Bride
- 1984
- Wild Blood
- The Magic Faraway Tree
- The Folk of the Faraway Tree,
- The Faraway Tree Stories
- Old Magic
- The Notebook
- Friendship According to Humphrey
- Necropolis: City of the Dead
- Wicked of the West
- The Greek Who Stole Christmas
- When Santa Fell to Earth
|
| Links |
|
|
|
Hey Ashly,I really like your topic, I think that the world needs an improvement on that. Also, I like how you gave us an example of your child hood life. To improve you writing, you should give us an example of how selfish the world is, then tell me your story. You should also try to relate your story of when you were in elementary and how that has become such an important lesson in your life. Or how your small deed sets an example in how we can change the world. That way your piece can be more powerful. Good job!
-Keli Kuikahi