What is love without compassion?What is life without pain?
Sunday, November 9, 2008
If we lowered the age of drinking it would make a difference

If we lowered the drinking age to 18 it would make a difference, along offering classes to grades 6 to 12 on how to be a responsible alcohol consumers. I think that if pre-teens and teens were educated about the risks of alcohol at an early age there would a lot less accidents and they could even spread the word to their friends and save more lives. But things will happen and people do make mistakes but its just life and there isn't much you can do about those who decide to choose the wrongs paths.

Personally i believe if teens started to drink alcohol at an earlier age they could get their urges to drink done with before they hit college, that way it wouldn't be such a "big" deal to be drinking. In america its a tradition to get "wasted" on your 21st birthday which builds anticipation and also causes teens to become impatient while waiting to turn the leagal age of 21, to purchase and consume alcohol. In results: underage drinking and binge drinking. If we had classes in our school system that educates youth about the dangers and risks of opening a bottle of "sin" they would understand how important it is to wait and maybe make the decision to not partake in consuming alcohol.

Slid down the rainbow at 7:28 PM
3 Comments:
  • At November 9, 2008 at 10:30 PM, Blogger I'm Knot Dumb said…

    Hey Ash!,
    This piece really shows your voice, you express your own opinions and thoughts with the "I believe..." and the "I think.." which was really good. You also had some good details but I think you need more supporting details and information, it sort of felt like you were winging it with your opinions. Your piece has a nice flow to meaning your sentence fluency is good, you do have word choice, I really like how you used the term "wasted." and I loved your closing statement of your first paragraph it fit perfectly. I feel you can be more specific on your thesis, lowering the drinking age to what? drinking what? what kind of difference a positive one or negative one? Over all your piece was not bad, keep it, good job.

     
  • At November 11, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Blogger iLorene said…

    Ashnique,
    When i read this i could hear alot of voice. everything in your paper is your opinion. i think you need a little more statistics. I think you had a nice flow to your essay, everything was connected and transitioned well. I think that your had good word choice. the word i think fit perfectly was "wasted". It think saying that with the parenthesis around it gave your paper even more voice, i like that, i think you should keep that in. I did not see any grammar mistakes. I did not understand the part when you said "along offering classes to grades 6 to 12 on how to be a responsible alcohol consumer". Are you saying that teens should be offered alcohol in class to be tough how to drink responsibly?-Or are you saying that they should watch a video about how to drink responsibly?-What? I think your need to show how it would influence teenagers to drink responsibly. Well in all i think that your essay was ok, it was a little short though.
    -Lorene

     
  • At November 11, 2008 at 9:16 PM, Blogger lsueoka said…

    Hi Ashly,
    I agree with DJ and Lorene. DJ, especially, provided insightful commentary. Like him, I think you were "winging it." This piece seems to be "off the top of your head" opinions about drinking, rather than the result of research.
    My advice is to get caught up on the resarch and construct a valid thesis and essay for your revised draft.
    mrs s

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
Where To?
Posts of Note
Books I Want to Read
Get me one of these books and I'll be your loyal friend for life (see below for my email address if you're actually considering the idea - not that I'm expecting you to)...
  • Snakehead
  • Morning is a Long Time Coming
  • Baby Blue
  • Incarceron
  • The Fighting Pit
  • The Hunting Forest
  • City of Flowers
  • A Small Person Far Away
  • Bombs on Aunt Dainty
  • The Other Way Round
  • The Time Withces
  • The Wild West Withches
  • Inkheart
  • Inkspell
  • Inkdeath
  • Heartsongs
  • Midnight's Choice
  • The Princess Bride
  • 1984
  • Wild Blood
  • The Magic Faraway Tree
  • The Folk of the Faraway Tree,
  • The Faraway Tree Stories
  • Old Magic
  • The Notebook
  • Friendship According to Humphrey
  • Necropolis: City of the Dead
  • Wicked of the West
  • The Greek Who Stole Christmas
  • When Santa Fell to Earth
    • ...and lots more...
Links
  • Home
  • Email me! (I'd like that)
  • Wild City Online - Writing Forums
  • Online Book Club
  • FanFiction
  • Life is a Journal
  • Naming Characters
  • Start a Reading Diary
  • Poem of the Week
  • Behind the Book
  • Read Mind Write
  • Blog Listings
  • Backgrounds

  • Books Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory